Saturday, October 13, 2012

Make Like A Chameleon


I've always admired the camouflage techniques of chameleons; being able to blend and become one with their surroundings. If a chameleon is in a tree, they're going to mimic browns and greens... I'm pretty sure they're not going to turn bright yellows or oranges; this would do more harm than justice. Provided, they do change their colors in order to survive in the wild, however, it's really quite simple-- they become what they're surrounded by in order to ensure a better a tomorrow. This is easily comparable to who we are as individuals. We've all heard the saying, "you are who you surround yourself with", and this couldn't be more true-- especially in college


For the first few months in college, I was hanging out with so many different people--all different values. Provided, I didn't agree with most of their morals and values, but I didn't think it'd affect mine (besides, I'm a strong individual). With that being said, stepping back from the situation I was able to realize that morals that once were utterly important to me, I granted exceptions and tolerated the atmosphere I was in... Was I weak, or was I strong? Regardless, my morals were no longer where I wanted them to be, and I wasn't en route to the person that I aspired to be. 

There are so many influences in college that weren't as evident as in high school (even if they were there), and I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't intimidated. It's easier to just fall culprit to alcohol, partying to party (not to socialize), and other such habits, than it is to politely say no thanks. Sure, it's college, and it may seem all fine and dandy, however, what about later down the road? Yes, I understand that "YOLO" is the motto, but in actuality, our choices and our affiliations are going to stick with us; it defines our personal history. It's easier said than done if you're used to living a carefree life style, but it's really important to think about your future. Being in college, we're a few years shy of our future and potential careers, and it's especially important to me that I don't start slacking off now. 



Although we aspire for the future, we can't neglect the present. 
It's crunch time people. We're developing into the individuals we want && choose to be. Why allow influences now to set us off track? Being in college already puts you a few steps ahead of others; and getting that degree would be quite the accomplishment. In order to successfully accomplish that goal, we need to surround ourselves with others that share the same goals, morals and values. It may have taken me longer than I wanted, but I realized that if you don't spend time with people with the same values, it's easy to stray away from your morals, values, and of course goals.

Like the chameleon, we all want to ensure we have a better tomorrow and not throw all of our hard work away. And like the chameleon, what keeps us from achieving a better tomorrow is our environment. We must remember to surround ourselves with those who are going to support us, share the same values and morals, and remind us that we are going to reach those goals. They weren't lying when they said you become who you surround yourself; do you want to be someone surrounded by others with completely different values than you, or someone surrounded by others who share the same values as you and encourage personal growth? As always, the choice is yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment