Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Unwanted Love-Bug

It was Friday night, and my friends all wanted to go out as a group to go get dinner and a movie to explore Louisville outside of it's University campus. That's all fine and dandy, but of us four girls, three had boyfriends.

Guess who was the lucky 7th wheel? 



Now, I'm not going to complain about that evening as I picked up a "date" of my great guy friend who lives down the hall. So really, I wasn't the 7th wheel that night, however, it doesn't mean I wasn't the odd man out prior outings before. I'd like to think that all of us have experienced being the odd man out, although I know there are individuals whom are constantly dating and have a significant other. Those who are dating, they seem as if they came out of a romance movie that won 5 different Emmy awards; constantly looking into each others eyes, holding hands in public, the man is a gentlemen, and seemingly, they're the happiest people in the world... This may be fine and true, however, why worry about it?

I'll be the first to admit that for quite some time after being at college, I questioned why I was single and why everybody else seemed so happy. After going on some dates with lovely freshman college students(some flukes, some OK), it didn't take long for me to realize what the answers were. Why am I single? My friends like to joke around (so I think) that I'm single because I'm "picky". This may be true, but you can never be too picky about finding a significant other. This isn't the realization I had though.

They say you change the most when you're in college and discover your true passions and colors. And that's just it. I'm still discovering who I am, what values are most important to me, and who I aspire to be some day. If I were to suddenly spend majority of my free time during this crucial development period on some stranger in hopes of getting to know them, I'd become side-tracked and influenced away (or sometimes even towards) from getting to know myself. Sometimes, it's more than OK to put yourself first.

Worry about finding yourself first before worrying about finding somebody else. If not, you're view on relationships is simply warped.

Why do those in relationships seem so happy? Originally, I really wanted to analyze the possibilities; however, it became apparent of the real answer. I was looking at everybody in relationships through rose-colored glasses. It was all about perspective. Because I hadn't accepted that it's OK to be single, my view on those in relationships, was in fact warped.. That was exactly the point; they just seemed happy in my perspective--rose-colored glasses. 

Don't fill your head with thoughts, questioning when the love-bug will hit you next. When you're wanting a significant other, that's when you'll settle for someone. 

The worlds best treasures are found when we aren't looking for them. 

2 comments:

  1. I am reading this today...the 13th which was my mom and dad's wedding anniversary. My Dad passed away in 2006...but this year would have been their 56th wedding anniversary. You wrote this blog on the 7th of October, which is Jeff and I's anniversary. We have been married 17 years. It has been wonderful...if/when the love bug hits...I can only wish you have longevity like my parents...and your grandparents...and happiness and knowing that you have chosen the right path for you...like Jeff and I. Love ya lots Stephanie. You have a lot of life ahead of you. Take it slow if that is what you feel you need to do.
    Hugs
    Cherie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too! And I'm so happy for you and Jeff! ^^ And I'm more than willing to take it slow. Why be so serious when I'm still in school?! :)

      Delete